Check out a Sciencenter volunteer Blue Coat as she explains her method for engaging visitors:
21-Tech Five-Step Process
One model for a successful staff/visitor interaction follows a basic five-step process:
- Observe/invite: “Come see what I have going on over here…”
- Ask probes/questions: “Tell me about (the exhibit)”,“What do you think is going on?” Ask questions to create an interaction and let visitors talk.
- Connect: Connect what’s going on or what they see going on in the physical exhibit to content and apps on iPad.
- Explain/play: Play with iPad or original exhibit, and explain the main message of the exhibit and how the content on the iPad relates.
- Make it real: Help visitors apply what they’re learning to more general information or life context.